Mini Project: Linchpin Bucksaw

This Summer I spent much of my time in the woods (thus the general lack of posting) and needed a bigger saw for processing fire wood. So I figured this would be a good opportunity to learn how to make a simple bucksaw using: some scrap wood, 2 linchpins, some rope and a saw blade.

I looked at some pictures in books and online to get a general idea of how to make it and what proportions to use, gathered my materials and got to work. I wanted to stick with basic hand tools to try and see how reasonable it would be to make one in the woods with only the tools on hand. I manly used: a knife, a draw knife, hand drill, hack saw and chisel. The draw knife work could have been  done with a knife, the drill with an awl and most magnesium blocks come with a hacksaw blade. The chisel work might have proved harder with a small bush kit but I usually have at least my chisel knife with me and I am sure other notches might work.

My first attempt at using it I used some lighter bank line and before to long it broke. I upgraded to some heavy baler twine and it stood up well. The frame although looking big compared to the steel equivalent was much lighter and had the advantage of being able to come apart for storage.

If I was to try this again I think I would spend more time on the joints trying to make them a tighter and stronger. As there was some movement in the joints when the saw would bind in the wood. However over all it worked alright and would certainly work in a pinch. What sort of projects have you been up to this summer?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Primary Knife: Review and Modifications

Mora Eldris: Review and Mods

A Wok in the Woods